Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cycling in the rain - some basic tips !

from - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion

Question - riding on WET PAVEMENT 
and IN THE RAIN

Question : It has been raining here most of the morning and was just curious if others ride on wet pavement after a fresh rain. Probably a stupid question but I haven't riden on a road bike since my Schwinn World Sports back in the 80's and really want to ride outside today. I'm assuming that it's ok to ride and just need to take it easy on the corners. Any opinions\advice?

______________________________

• Since you haven't ridden in so long I would say no. why risk a crash on potentially slick streets? wait for better conditions and get your skill back a bit first.
Just my .02 cents...


______________________________

• I do it frequently, just be careful like you have said.  Another thing to watch out for, depending on your area, is for cinders that may have been relocated due to the rain into an unexpected area causing traction issues.


______________________________

• And watch out for the painted lines.  They can be pretty slick when wet.
ETA that you also never know how deep a puddle really is....

______________________________

• As mentioned above, stay off the white lanes as much as possible and avoid metal surfaces as well, like manhole covers etc. 

I brake well before a turn as well.
______________________________

Avoid painted surfaces
Avoid puddles if you can
feather the brakes
Use caution
Be aware of yoru surroundings





______________________________

Thanks for the advice. It looks like it's stopped raining and hopefully stays that way so it can dry up. I will definitely remember the caution about the lines. Luckily the route I have picked out has no painted lines or manhole covers. I basically have a 4.5 mile route going through the southern portion of our town and out into an unincorporated area making a big loop. As long as I can get on the road tonight my training calls for 2 loops tonight followed by a short run.
______________________________

Also make sure you clean and lube your drive train after the ride. I have a specific bike that I use for winter/wet riding that I use a much heavier lube on. Some of the lighter lubes get washed away and provide minimal protection after just a few miles.

______________________________


I live near Seattle.  If we didn't ride on wet pavement, then we wouldn't ride very much.  We ride in the actual rain as well.
If the pavement is wet, take it easy on corners and watch out for the stripes, especially new shiny ones at crosswalks and the like.  The stripes are slippery when wet.  Metal grates and the like are also slippery.
Be careful putting your foot down at a stop if you have hard plastic cleats.  Your feet can slide; I fell over once doing exactly that.
Some people will say reduce air pressure in your tires.  I say that's unnecessary and I certainly don't do that.
If you're riding in rain often enough, get fenders.  They make it so much easier and more comfortable than getting spray in your face and a skunk stripe of dirt on your back.  There are multiple types of fenders and some are easy to add / remove as desired.

______________________________

Lots of good advice above.  Just some other stuff off the top of my head:

If the road has a crown, dirt, sand, debris, etc., washes to the shoulder (or into the bike line), making it  extra hazardous or slippery.  On roads where there are curbs I occasionally encounter standing water along the edge.

If there is a chance of rain I usually carry a fold-up rain jacket in one of my jersey pockets.  

My cell phone and wallet go into zip-lok bags in my jersey pockets.

Switch to amber or clear lenses on my sunglasses.

I usually don't start out if it's raining hard, of if thunderstorms are forecast.

Mark


______________________________
Some people will say reduce air pressure in your tires.  I say that's unnecessary and I certainly don't do that.

______________________________
Having the tires at a few pounds of pressure less than you might have on a perfectly dry day can be a very good idea if your route has especially slippery surfaces and other places where you might need a little more traction. 
Back to the original post, I ride in the rain often enough with my commute to work (also in Seattle) so I set the tri bike up on the trainer if it is raining to much.


______________________________

Braking emphasis also shifts in wet conditions. Your Rear brake should pick up more work when it's wet, as locking up your front wheel, though almost impossible in dry conditions, is a real (and basically unrecoverable) hazard in wet conditions. Although it's important all the time, it's much more important to have a "plan" and clear view of what's going on around you at all times in the rain/muck.


______________________________


I've ridden in plenty of rain.  It's certainly not my idea of ideal riding conditions, but sometimes you end up getting caught in a shower, or have a ride scheduled just after it has rained and the pavement is wet.  In those circumstances, I adjust my riding accordingly.  I wear a HI-VIZ rain jacket, I make sure that my rear blinky light is working properly, I wear a riding cap under my helmet to keep the rain out of my eyes, I stay clear of lane lines or any street markings or other slippery surfaces, I keep an eye out for oil-slicked puddles, and I give myself plenty of extra time for braking.  I learned a lot of this stuff while riding my motorcycle, and nearly all of it can be applied to cycling as well.  Motorists don't expect to see cyclists (or motorcycles) riding out in the rain, and therefore will often not even LOOK for us to be on the roads.  Not to mention the lower visibility that occurs when it rains...makes it even more important to ride defensively and to constantly "scan" the road for potential hazards. 


______________________________
when it first rains the oil and other fluids cars tend to leak make the road very very slippery. As it rains more the oily residue is partially washed away so it is actually a little better for traction. So you are better off going out when its been raining all day as apposed to going out after a quick shower.


______________________________
You cannot go slow enough to make a turn on Exposed Aggregate.  I learned this by exposing some hamburger on my side.






No comments:

Post a Comment